Bolton Priory

It was in the year 1154 that Augustinian Priests arrived in the village of Bolton-in-Wharfedale to build a priory, the land had been given to them by Lady Alice de Romille of nearby Skipton Castle. The remains of the original building can still be seen under the ruins of the altar. The income required to build and maintain such a large building was gained from their work in agriculture and renting of land, working of Mills and Mines. In 1539 the dissolution of the churches, by King Henry the VIII, was to see the priory pulled down and stripped of anything of any value to be sold and the money to be added to the kings treasury. The estate was sold off to the Clifford family now the new owners of Skipton Castle, it was later sold onto the Duke of Devonshire (who is still the present owner today).
A new church was built next to the priory and is still in use today 850 years since the first priory was built