Harewood House

Built on the outskirts of the city of Leeds Harewood House is the private residence of the Earl of Harewood (cousin of the Queen and descendent of the Lacselles family). The building of the current house started in 1759 and was finished about 1771. The house was designed by John Carr from York and who was aided by the scottsh designer Robert Adam. Furniture was supplied by a local man who was based in Otley called Thomas Chippendale, and the landscaping by Capability Brown. Over the years the house has had some major additions such as a third floor and the beautiful Terrace.