Skipton Castle

Skipton Castle is one of the best preserved castles in Yorkshire, so well preserved that part of it is still being lived in by the present owners. The present stone castle can be traced back to the 1090s, and no doubt this will have been preceded by a wooden fortress much earlier. The castle was built by Robert de Romille and over the years the castle changed hands and families many times.
Lady Anne Clifford (1590-1676) owned the castle during the civil war (1642-45) when the castle withstood a three year siege. After the siege was over Oliver Cromwell ordered the "slighting" of the castle and the roofs were demolished. Lady Anne restored the castle and to commemorate the ending of the repairs she planted a Yew tree in the courtyard known as Conduit Court in the year 1659 and the tree still exists today.
  
Return to: Castles or Gallery