St Marys Church Pateley Bridge

The earliest time when worship took place on this area is recorded to be 1320, its most likely that it was used many years previous to this known year. Over the years the church has been modified, with the Tower added approximately 1691. In 1724 a gallery was added to create more room for the congregation as the church was proving to be too small for the numbers of people wanting to use the church. It finally closed in 1826. Although not in use since, it is still being cared for and is now looked after by the local council and a group of "friends of the church". Its difficult to believe in an age where churches in the UK are being closed down and made into homes because of the lack of worshippers, that they had to abandon a church for being too small.